Thursday, December 8, 2011

always a bride?

Ok, is this weird?

I’ve been a bride. It was wonderful. We had a lovely, amazing wedding.

But, I’ve always wanted to be a bridesmaid.

Isn’t it supposed to be, “always a bridesmaid, never a bride?”

I remember a conversation in college when my friends were describing their dream weddings. Someone asked me what my dream wedding was…and I did not have an answer. I didn’t have a dream wedding. I had never considered colors and dresses and meals and locations. I did want to be married eventually. I had a vague idea about a great man and a church and a white dress, but that was about it.

Maybe it was because I didn’t have my wedding half planned in my imagination, or maybe it was because I’m not big on being the center of attention (because brides really can get a lot of attention)…but I wanted to be a bridesmaid more than a bride. Have someone decide the colors for me, be in a position of supporting the couple, wear a pretty dress. Still be in the thick of things (because I like to be involved!) yet not be in the spotlight.

My day as a bride (and my husband’s day as a groom) was an experience I would not trade for anything. And I had the BEST bridesmaids! But I still have this dream of being a bridesmaid. Maybe one day. Or maybe I'm just weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment