Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What should I say?

This article about what moms don't say in regards to new motherhood recently appeared on my Facebook feed and I read it with great interest. I found everything on the list to be true to my own experience. From what I remember only two people really spoke to me about the difficulties of becoming a parent. One told me about some serious breast feeding issues she'd faced. With the other, it wasn't even specifics, just some general "it's really hard and I am so tired" comments.

Everyone told me that being a mom would be great and I would love it and, yes, it wouldn't be easy, but I would just love it. I do love my little one and there are great times and I would not give it up. I just wonder if it might have been different if more people had told me about the difficulties of those first months with baby.

I felt like I got hit by a truck after giving birth. I did not love it. I did not like it. I thought something was horribly wrong with me because I was supposed to be loving it. Everyone said I would love it! My poor husband didn't know what to do with my misery because he was supposed to be loving it, too. I kept it from everyone else because it must have been just me; I had to be doing something wrong. And then I couldn't stand it and went to the doctor and she said I had postpartum depression.

I posted a blog about my experience shortly after my PPD diagnosis. Suddenly, all these moms were telling me about how hard having a baby was for them. I was so relieved that it wasn't just me. That was a big aspect of my recovery. 

I have wondered ever since why I didn't hear about the difficulties before baby. Maybe that part was just me... I didn't know to look for them or ask about them. But some of the same people who said I'd love it also said it was so, so hard after I told them I was depressed.

I don't judge them because I also wonder if I help perpetuate this problem. I don't readily tell my first-time pregnant friends about my experiences. I wonder if I should, because for me they were pretty bad. I don't want to scare these new moms or make having a baby sound like the first step to depression. I know it's not always that hard for everyone, but it does seem to be hard for many people. I will gladly talk about it if asked, but I really don't know how to bring it up unasked. And maybe that is why only two people told me (unasked!) about the hardships of the early months of parenthood.


No comments:

Post a Comment