Friday, March 4, 2011

so much time...so little to do

I have been unemployed since last May. I quit my job of four years to do an unpaid summer internship at the public library. It was a great experience that I hoped would lead to a job. And then the internship ended. I spent fall semester finishing school and graduating, and the internship itself…

…led to volunteer service, which has been helpful and informative, but it only keeps me busy about four hours out of the week. I’ve snagged a few interviews, but they have so far ended with me being “too inexperienced.” I’m not yet sure what to do with that; I try to make sure the public library people know I’m willing to do just about anything. Plus, I have the degree! Gah!

This leaves me with unemployment, which is very BORING. It’s hard to fill the time. The house is usually clean. With only two people, there aren’t many errands to run. There are no children to take care of, and we don’t plan on that for a while. Job hunting is not time consuming because I am limited to the area in which I live, thanks (a very grateful thanks) to Nathan’s job. (I must also add that the job hunt is not time consuming due to not searching too widely outside of the library profession. I’m holding out hope…for a little while longer).

I’m afraid it sounds spoiled to have so much free time when so many people are busy trying to keep up with schedules, work, kids, and more. But I find myself struggling with a lot of free time. Days can feel endless and without purpose.

Maybe I will have a focus: Ideas to fill Emily’s day...

No comments:

Post a Comment